Years of Schooling: 4 years
Professional Category: Marine Engineering
I. Educational Objectives
The program is designed to train engineers with a solid theoretical foundation of vessel design and construction, knowledge and skills in advanced manufacturing, engineering practices and problem-solving abilities.
During the Excellent Engineer Education and Training Plan pilot period, the number of students of the two classes is to stand at around 70.
II. Education Requirements
Upon graduation, students are supposed to acquire knowledge and abilities listed as follows:
1. A solid natural science foundation and fair understanding of the humanities, arts and social sciences;
2. A systematic grasp of theoretical knowledge of naval architecture and ocean engineering;
3. Basic skills needed in design, drafting, computing, computer operation and document retrieval;
4. A thorough understanding of the conception, techniques and process of large marine construction, familiarity with general standards related to shipbuilding and marine structures, and understanding of modern shipbuilding technology and shipyard operations and management;
5. Competence in computer skills and English;
6. Strong self-learning ability, inventiveness and research and practical abilities.
III. Length of Schooling, Academic Credits, Degrees Conferred
Length of Schooling: 4 years
Academic Credits Required: 160 credits
Degrees Conferred: Bachelor of Engineering
IV. Curriculum and Credit Distribution
1. General Education Courses (54 credits)
Requirements: 44 credits for compulsory courses;10 credits for elective courses
2.Basic Disciplinary Courses (43 credits)
Requirements: the total of 43 credits for basic courses in the discipline.
3. Specialty-Oriented Courses(54 credits)
Requirements: 44 credits for compulsory specialty-oriented courses; 10 credits for elective specialty-oriented courses.
4. Optional Courses(6 credits)
Requirements: 6 credits.
5. Second Class( Extracurricular Activities)(3 credits)
Requirements: 3 credits