Years of Schooling: 4 years
Professional Category: Environment and Safety
I. Educational Objectives
The program is aimed at training professionals with profound knowledge of disciplinary basics, a grasp of the basic theories of marine and environmental engineering, and equipped with the fundamental techniques of marine environmental protection and ship and port pollution control. Graduates are expected to be capable of planning, designing, construction, management, education and research and development work in the governments, the maritime administrations, port construction and management departments, shipping companies, research institutes, universities, junior colleges and polytechnic high schools.
II. Education Requirements
Students are required to grasp theories and the basics of environmental engineering and maritime affairs, and are to be trained in environmental engineering and marine environmental pollution control.
Upon graduation, students are supposed to acquire knowledge and abilities listed as follows:
1. A solid natural science foundation and a fair understanding of humanities and social sciences;
2. Mastery of necessary technical skills and theoretical knowledge, including inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, principles of environmental engineering, microbiology for environmental engineering, fluid dynamics, etc.;
3. Competency in English and computer skills;
4. Expertise in environmental monitoring technology, pollution control engineering, air pollution control engineering, environmental impact assessment and drainage network engineering; Familiarity with basic methods for monitoring marine water, ports and ship and controlling pollution; understanding of frontier and trends of the discipline;
5. Practical training in marine and coastal environmental monitoring, water pollution control, environmental impact assessment, drainage network design, etc.;
6. Basic methods of information retrieval, self-education, problem-analysis and solving and developing a sense of inventiveness, basic techniques of research and practice.
III. Length of Schooling, Academic Credits, Degrees Conferred
Length of Schooling: 4 years
Academic Credits Required: 159.5 credits
Degrees Conferred: Bachelor of Engineering
IV. Curriculum and Credit Distribution
1. General Education Courses (54 credits)
Requirements: 44 credits for compulsory courses;10 credits for elective courses
2.Basic Disciplinary Courses (42 credits)
Requirements: the total of 42 credits for basic courses in the discipline.
3. Specialty-Oriented Courses(54.5 credits)
Requirements: 38.5 credits for compulsory specialty-oriented courses; 16 credits for elective specialty-oriented courses.
4. Optional Courses(6 credits)
Requirements: 6 credits.
5. Second Class( Extracurricular Activities)(3 credits)
Requirements: 3 credits